Video and Sound Final

For my Final Project I’ve been grouped with Nai-chen Yand and Carrie Zhang .

After couple hours of shooting, we end up with our final video.

During this process, we changed style of the video at least twice. In our first version we used just one song, playing constantly throughout the whole video also, we kept colors.  Finally, in the final one we decided to remove colors and changed the music, adding a silent pause in the middle of the video.

Here’s our final effect:

That was a very nice and entertaining experience. I’ve learned a lot both in terms of using Adobe Premiere and … acting.

Pin Clock

For my final project I paired up with Jesse. After long brainstorm we finally decided on creating a digital pin clock. We were inspired by a pin toy.

IMG_5125

Our first idea was to create a ‘topographic mirror’ image using 3D pin sculpture and some sort of sensors to detect what was in front of the ‘mirror’.  Because of the mechanical intricacies required to move each pin individually, and because of the cost of linear actuators we would probably have to use, we dropped that idea and came up with the clock concept.

IMG_5119

The clock would work similar as a pin toy does. Just for the design we’d need 3 sheets of flat acrylic ( 2 for board, one to attach mechanism) many acrylic rods and multi colored LED lights.

IMG_5127

Two sheets would hold the pins in place, and the third sheet would house the mechanism, which would actuate the pins forward and back to display time. Moreover, we decided on fitting multi-colored LEDs inside the pegs, so that they enhance the visual effect and the clarity of the time display.

We’ve already made our first small prototype, laser cutting wholes in 2 acrylic sheets and cutting few rods to mock up the clock dimensions. We still need to estimate the grid dimensions, the spacing between holes and the amount of holes in each row.

IMG_5123 IMG_5122 IMG_5121 IMG_5120 IMG_5118 IMG_5117 IMG_5116

Our next step will be to decide how big the grid should be, we’ll have to determine peg spacing between holes.

Here’s how our initial schedule looks like:

WEEK 1:

  • finalize our concept;
  • prototype chassis;
  • determine peg spacing;
  • determine amounts of pegs;
  • research solenoids;
  • get them to work;
  • determine power needs;
  • work with the code;

WEEK 2:

  • work withe the code;
  • work with the code ( LEDs part only);
  • order rest of materials;
  • finalize the sizing;

WEEK 3:

  • cutting the rods;
  • fabrications;
  • preparing to assemble;
  • coding – tests with servos;

WEEK 4:

  • debugging,
  • fabrications;
  • etc.

WEEK 5:

  • final assembly,
  • preparing presentation

Hopefully, everything’s gonna work well and we end up having a new, gorgeous clock for ITP.

‘Dandi’ – pComp Midterm Project

Firstly, my Partner Anne and I considered making a physical object – a box of grass that moved as if being blown by the wind when people walked past. Then, after a brainstorm we both agreed to move the project to the screen.

It was a challenging task in terms of programming. That was the first time I had to use particle system.

I started with drawing a dandelion piece in Adobe Illustrator and saving it as a svg file. Then, I tried to loop it in few circles, just to create dandelion shape.

DANDIThen, after consultation with Moon, we decided to form dandelion pieces in one spiral.Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 1.48.27 PM Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 1.47.41 PM

While I was working on design and programming, Anne figured out a lot about the sensors.

At first, we purchased a PIR motion sensor, but it turned out to be way to sensitive. Then, we discovered the Distance Measuring Sensor which seemed perfect for our task, though we did not need to measure distance, because we were able to adjust the level of sensitivity.

She did a great job by getting sensors to work.

Also, I laser cut and etched the lid for our ‘sensor box’.

IMG_4838 IMG_4846

Finally, we connected both out works, and ended up with a beautiful final effect.

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 2.06.20 PM

Sound Visualization – Final Project Idea

For my final project, I’d like to make Sound Visualization. The software I’d like to use is Processing. I’m considering creating 3D pattern, based on one single sine wave.

I’d like to keep ‘outer-space style’, I feel really inspired by TRON the Legacy:

I found plenty cool stuff on the internet and made a general mood board of the style I’d like to implement to my project.

moodboard

To display music I wanna use single element, like a sine wave, and multiply it once music changes:

audio_wave-4 18myedxaumwzdjpg still_2729 4043554107

Also, I really enjoyed watching this: