In this week, I was working on creating a collaborative chat.
I had some problems with separating mouse coordinates for each user. After solving this problem, I decided to move my canvas, what obviously caused another problem – the drawing was being created far from the mouse. I have a feeling that I solved it, but any small change in the code might mess it up again, so I rather won’t brag about it.
I keep trying to figure how to draw continuous line when pressing the mouse, but the fact that I have to send and display the drawing from the server makes it a very hard task to complete.
So far I managed to draw straight lines between each ‘click’ of the mouse.
I also added ‘login’ panel & clear button. Still fighting with continuous drawing.
For this week’s assignment, we were supposed to prepare our first data visualization, basing on JSON or xml file.
I spent a lot of time searching for a proper dataset but deeply failed, that is why I decided to create my own one.
Since I was young, I was very interested in Sharks. I couldn’t stop watching ‘Jaws’ on and on again. I figured that I might find some interesting information about these animals.
I came across the ‘Shark Attack’ article on wikipedia and felt very inspired to visualize ‘Confirmed unprovoked shark attacks around the world’.
After creating JSON file, I started experimenting with different shapes, positions and juxtapositions of arrays.
My goal was to map the size of circles with the number of fatal and total attacks. Additionally, I needed to downgrade size of circles displaying total attacks 5 times, since the numbers were extremely high comparing to the numbers of ‘fatal’ attacks.
I used 2 color sets of colors: shades of red for fatal attacks, and blue for total attacks.
My JSON file contained 14 groups, consisting:
Region of attacks,
Number of total attacks
Number of fatal attacks
Year of last fatality.
I placed each region ( and it’s 2 circles) in random places of concentric circles.
I also planned to sort my sets chronologically – by the year of the last fatality – but still trying to figure it out.
It was a ver nice task. I think I’ve learned a lot and (OH MAN!) realized that I can’t code in Java… Hopefully I will change it soon!
There are many words that annoys us. I figured that life could be better if we could simply replace them with ones we like. That’s how I came up with the idea to create a ‘Haters tool’ – word replacer.
I called the 1st project ‘The synonyms’. It is supposed to turn each word of a given text into its synonyms.
I must say I had many problems with that, since I’m not familiar with using API. Also, I had problem with an array of words, which for some reason reversed their order. Finally, I managed to get something satisfying and get it working.