test it here:
Times of Dylan
This is a conceptual piece which aims to show the reverence of Bob Dylan’s work by drawing the viewer back into the moment in time the music was created. The goal is to show both the timeliness and timelessness of his songs.
A long hallway set up with Dylan Lyrics on one side and images/movies from that moment in time on the other wall. As you walk down this long hallway you are physically walking through the timeline. Unidirectional speakers will play the current album.
In order to draw out the almost visual nature of Dylan’s lyrics and to give some visual focus points adjective – noun combinations are highlighted and enlarged in the text on the wall.
What We Did:
- Scrubbed http://www.azlyrics.com/ to get all of Dylan’s lyrics using Python and BeautifulSoup.
- Processing to display and process the text using RiTa
- Amassed a series of images that where relevant during the time that Dylan was producing and putting out his images
- Created a Unity representation of what this might look and feel like. (http://itp.marcelanowak.com/data_art/bobDylanWeb/bobDylanWeb.html)
- Created a THREEJS representation of what this might look and feel like for easy web viewing. (http://emmanuelklein.com/classes/data%20art/dylan/)
- Slideshow to display the idea.
- Using python to scrub 400 songs kept locking up my IP address. I tried to add a pause between each quarry but I would still get locked out after about 50 songs and needed to find another IP address. VPNs worked to different degrees of success.
- Dealing with the scale of a large wall while working with small elements (the words).
- Processing had memory issues and creating large format canvases.
- Creating a small representation of a large and detailed that holds true to both scales is challenging.
For this week’s assignment, we were supposed to prepare our first data visualization, basing on JSON or xml file.
I spent a lot of time searching for a proper dataset but deeply failed, that is why I decided to create my own one.
Since I was young, I was very interested in Sharks. I couldn’t stop watching ‘Jaws’ on and on again. I figured that I might find some interesting information about these animals.
I came across the ‘Shark Attack’ article on wikipedia and felt very inspired to visualize ‘Confirmed unprovoked shark attacks around the world’.
After creating JSON file, I started experimenting with different shapes, positions and juxtapositions of arrays.
My goal was to map the size of circles with the number of fatal and total attacks. Additionally, I needed to downgrade size of circles displaying total attacks 5 times, since the numbers were extremely high comparing to the numbers of ‘fatal’ attacks.
I used 2 color sets of colors: shades of red for fatal attacks, and blue for total attacks.
My JSON file contained 14 groups, consisting:
- Region of attacks,
- Number of total attacks
- Number of fatal attacks
- Year of last fatality.
I placed each region ( and it’s 2 circles) in random places of concentric circles.
I also planned to sort my sets chronologically – by the year of the last fatality – but still trying to figure it out.
It was a ver nice task. I think I’ve learned a lot and (OH MAN!) realized that I can’t code in Java… Hopefully I will change it soon!
For our first assignment, we were supposed to collect our own data and graphically display it in a form of a postcard.
It took me a while to figure what I want to show. I was considering following topics I’m interested in: travels, photography, cultures.
Finally, I came out with the idea to use my Fitbit as a source of my data.
I decided to show how active I was during the previous week.
In my project, I’m using 4 different colors, to differentiate 5 things tracked by fitbit during one day: steps, active minutes, floors and hours of sleep. To be more precise:
- pink – floors taken,
- yellow – steps taken,
- light blue – hours of sleep,
- dark blue – active hours,
- orange – miles walked
All dot’s that empty show the minimum of activity I would like to have during the day.
I show the extra activity by adding dots filled with color.
Lastly, the crossed dot means the lack of activity.
I divided my research into 8 groups. The first seven shows the days of the week, the last one summarizes the past week.
Hopefully I didn’t confuse you.
Here are some pictures I took: