For this week’s assignment, we were supposed to prepare our first data visualization, basing on JSON or xml file.
I spent a lot of time searching for a proper dataset but deeply failed, that is why I decided to create my own one.
Since I was young, I was very interested in Sharks. I couldn’t stop watching ‘Jaws’ on and on again. I figured that I might find some interesting information about these animals.
I came across the ‘Shark Attack’ article on wikipedia and felt very inspired to visualize ‘Confirmed unprovoked shark attacks around the world’.
After creating JSON file, I started experimenting with different shapes, positions and juxtapositions of arrays.
My goal was to map the size of circles with the number of fatal and total attacks. Additionally, I needed to downgrade size of circles displaying total attacks 5 times, since the numbers were extremely high comparing to the numbers of ‘fatal’ attacks.
I used 2 color sets of colors: shades of red for fatal attacks, and blue for total attacks.
My JSON file contained 14 groups, consisting:
Region of attacks,
Number of total attacks
Number of fatal attacks
Year of last fatality.
I placed each region ( and it’s 2 circles) in random places of concentric circles.
I also planned to sort my sets chronologically – by the year of the last fatality – but still trying to figure it out.
It was a ver nice task. I think I’ve learned a lot and (OH MAN!) realized that I can’t code in Java… Hopefully I will change it soon!
There are many words that annoys us. I figured that life could be better if we could simply replace them with ones we like. That’s how I came up with the idea to create a ‘Haters tool’ – word replacer.
I called the 1st project ‘The synonyms’. It is supposed to turn each word of a given text into its synonyms.
I must say I had many problems with that, since I’m not familiar with using API. Also, I had problem with an array of words, which for some reason reversed their order. Finally, I managed to get something satisfying and get it working.
For my final project, I decided to explore the topic of Op art and an optical illusion. I wanted to find out, if we can achieve similar effect, by coding art that is moving, and by coding art that is a still image, but gives the viewer the impression of movement.
Typically, Op artists used only black and white in order to produce the greatest contrast in their designs, since this contrast causes the greatest confusion for the eye, which struggles to discern which element of the composition is in the foreground and which in the background.
But color was also a focus of attention at times, as in Vasarely’s Plastic Alphabet series (1960-1980). The ways in which color suggests space, and the ways colors contrast with one another, proved fertile areas for experiment.
Feeling inspired, I decided to code my own op-arts.
For my Nature of Code final project, I decided to try my hands at Unity 3D.
I want to create a Coral Reef Scenery, full of abundant variety of living creatures fish, turtles, crabs, sharks etc. I’d like to implement some Nature of Code to the project, by creating different school of fish ( flocking systems), current and random movers ( single fish/ sharks).
I think this is a great opportunity to practice both coding, as visual skills.
I find it a bit challenging, since I haven’t been using Unity a lot, and am not familiar with C#, but with a little help of tutorials I’m sure I will be able to figure something out. So far, I’ve created several flocking systems and some caustic effects. Still working on Sun shafts.
For my midterm project, I decided to explore relations between attractors & movers in the code. Fortunately, I had zillion ideas, unfortunately, also had way too less skills to achieve the result what I wanted.
Tried to play with fractals, processing and three.js,
Not everything was successful, but I definitely learned a lot
Finally, I decided to focus on the ‘attractor’ example and modify it to make a nice visual effect.
My goal was have a system of movers, flying randomly on the screen. Then, slowly, they were supposed to create a hidden image.
To make it happen, I prepared a few png & jpg files, that were about to be presented by movers. After importing them into p5, I wrote a nested loop, that iterates through each pixel of the image. Each one, having the RGB value bigger than 0 and smaller than 254 was meant to attract elements of the particle.
Once it finally worked, I decided to add some functions to the mouse and keyboard. I just wanted to totally mess up the drawing and redraw it again when the mouse is pressed.
The key changes the image to another one from the array. Once we reach the last one, we go back to the 1st one.