Firstly, my Partner Anne and I considered making a physical object – a box of grass that moved as if being blown by the wind when people walked past. Then, after a brainstorm we both agreed to move the project to the screen.
It was a challenging task in terms of programming. That was the first time I had to use particle system.
I started with drawing a dandelion piece in Adobe Illustrator and saving it as a svg file. Then, I tried to loop it in few circles, just to create dandelion shape.
Then, after consultation with Moon, we decided to form dandelion pieces in one spiral.
While I was working on design and programming, Anne figured out a lot about the sensors.
At first, we purchased a PIR motion sensor, but it turned out to be way to sensitive. Then, we discovered the Distance Measuring Sensor which seemed perfect for our task, though we did not need to measure distance, because we were able to adjust the level of sensitivity.
She did a great job by getting sensors to work.
Also, I laser cut and etched the lid for our ‘sensor box’.
Finally, we connected both out works, and ended up with a beautiful final effect.
This week I’ve been playing with video capture and sound.
Finally, I started with creating the grid. Initially, I planned to fill my screen with squares, but finally I ended up with ellipses. The idea was to calculate the average of R, G and B values from the pixels inside each circle and fill that circle with the new ‘average’ color.
Once I finally figured out how to make it, I came up with the idea of expanding the grid according to the mouse position. The circles grow when mouse goes to the left part of the screen.
This week’s assignment, was to create a sketch using data. At first, I wanted to use xml file, but it seemed to be still a little bit buggy. I didn’t manage to get rid of error even after posting the problem to our ICM group, and emailing Dan Shiffman.
So, I tried with json. After struggling with that case it finally worked out.
My idea was to create a simplified solar system visualization. Sadly, the sun turns out to be too big in comparison to the planets, so eventually I just marked it as a small spot in the center of our solar system… To create my animation, I used real planets’ data, such as: their distance from the sun, velocity, diameter and speed. I couldn’t find any good database, so I ended up creating it myself.
By dividing it and adjusting to my canvas I was able to fit most of the planets on the screen. At the end I also used scale(); function.
Once you click on the planets’ buttons, placed in the top left corner, you’ll get information about planets.
This Friday, our whole 1st year had an event called Synthesis. The focus for that workshop was a design challenge. We were supposed to create an experience in the browser using p5 that responds to a single interaction — the press of a button.
My partner Xiqiao Zhou and I reworked my ICM game, replacing arrows with a button.
Here’s the video of the result:
It was so much fun combining Arduino and p5. I saw many great ideas that were very inspiring.