midterm

‘Dandi’ – pComp Midterm Project

Firstly, my Partner Anne and I considered making a physical object – a box of grass that moved as if being blown by the wind when people walked past. Then, after a brainstorm we both agreed to move the project to the screen.

It was a challenging task in terms of programming. That was the first time I had to use particle system.

I started with drawing a dandelion piece in Adobe Illustrator and saving it as a svg file. Then, I tried to loop it in few circles, just to create dandelion shape.

DANDIThen, after consultation with Moon, we decided to form dandelion pieces in one spiral.Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 1.48.27 PM Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 1.47.41 PM

While I was working on design and programming, Anne figured out a lot about the sensors.

At first, we purchased a PIR motion sensor, but it turned out to be way to sensitive. Then, we discovered the Distance Measuring Sensor which seemed perfect for our task, though we did not need to measure distance, because we were able to adjust the level of sensitivity.

She did a great job by getting sensors to work.

Also, I laser cut and etched the lid for our ‘sensor box’.

IMG_4838 IMG_4846

Finally, we connected both out works, and ended up with a beautiful final effect.

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 2.06.20 PM

DANDI – pComp midterm (Draft post)

For midterm project, I was paired with Anne Goodfriend.

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 3.22.08 AM

We called our project ‘Dandi’. The idea was to show Dandelion blown by wind, created by person, that passes 2 motion sensors.

IMG_4846 2

Laser etched dandelions on a box

The order of on which sensor was triggered first, indicated the directions, the dandelion pieces were blown.

IMG_4866 2 IMG_4847 2

IMG_4840

I have no idea why this video loads upside down….